Thursday 25 August 2011

The latest Apple of my eye...


One of the things that no-one ever tells you when you first start your own blog is how often you should post. With so many opinions, thoughts, whinges and questions flying through my busy mind on a daily basis, I truly believe that I should be submitting a post at least three times a day. But alas, with the day-to-day juggling of not only my current hospital visits, but also having to deal with baby A's current vogue of refusing most meals that I care to conjure up, time is often against me. Not only am I a procrastinator, I often receive my bolts of inspiration in the least inspiring and most inappropriate of places. Often, when I discover that a current preoccupation of mine would make a really interesting post and have already formulated the first paragraph,  I'm either on the bus with neither pen nor pencil to hand, or am waiting impatiently in a slow-moving queue at the supermarket. By the time I get back home and find a break in the day to sit down and start assembling my thoughts... well, what d'ya know ? they've already run out of patience and deserted me.

And then there's the guilt of non-blogging. Most cancer survivors can relate to the fear of recurrence being like a sword of Damocles slowly hovering over your head, but I bet you didn't realise that not having updated your blog in not one but two weeks can feel a bit like that too ? Ok, perhaps I'm being a bit overly dramatic here... perhaps it feels more like the guilt that you feel about that thank you card that you never got around to sending to your long lost uncle who kindly posted you that nice, fat cheque last summer for your birthday. The longer you leave it, the harder it is to send and the worse you feel for it. I realise that in terms of catch-ups, I'm running way behind. My haircut - once so slick after having been tamed a few weeks ago is now looking like a completely different beast altogether. I'm no longer wearing a stoma bag, have had a minor operation, am now back on herceptin and today paid a visit to yet another doctor to discuss the possibility of me having radiotherapy. Phew, I know. A hell of a lot to catch up with. What have I done to remedy this ?  I've treated myself of course... to a brand new Ipad. Now I can blog anytime, anyplace and anywhere. Did I really need it ? Probably not. But since I'm currently so over my search for afro wigs at the moment and not really fully healed enough to go on a clothes shopping spree, I think that a leap into the world of gadgets and gizzmos is the closest thing I'll get to retail therapy for a while...

So bear with me if you please. I will try my hardest to bring this blog back up to speed in the most painless way that I see fit. But if things start to sound a bit random or worse still repetitive, then please understand. It might not be me doing the talking, it might well be the chemo...

No comments:

Post a Comment