Monday 21 March 2011

Building Bridges


Well I heard back from the building society (see previous Building Blocks post). Since they hurriedly wrote me an apology letter and included a cheque for £50, I'm supposing that maybe I did have a leg to stand on after all.

I feel pleased  that my complaint was acknowledged. Perhaps it wasn't such a great idea to meet a financial adviser while you're strung out on the after-effects of chemo and so tired that you can barely answer their questions, but that's still no reason to be treated as if you already have one foot in the grave. I share my good news with my mum and partner who think it's great that I stood my ground and refused to be a victim. While I don't want to turn into one of those perpetual 'outraged from tunbridge wells' types who will complain about the least thing at the drop of a hat, I think it's good once in a while to remind the big guys at the banks whose money they're actually looking after. What to do with my £50 windfall ? I briefly contemplate -

a) a flutter on the horses

b) a second-hand pair of Jimmy Choo shoes on Ebay

c) part-payment for a new super-duper state of the art food blender (maybe this is way too sensible an option to be including...)

in actual fact, I know what I'll do with it - it will go very safely and predictably into Baby A's new savings account which I've yet to open. Sometimes I'd love to be more extravagant and downright irresponsible, but I guess I'm just too pragmatic a person for my own good.

No comments:

Post a Comment